Read the Cultural Heritage Site Designation Resolution
The Parkers Mill Bridge, a double span concrete spandrel arch bridge over the Uwharrie River, was built in 1924. It was one of the first reinforced concrete arch bridges built in North Carolina. The one lane bridge was designed by engineer Grady L. Bash and constructed by the firm of Steel and Lebby of Knoxville, Tennessee. The bridge is listed on the 1972 North Carolina Historic American Engineering Record survey. Charles Victor Parker's grist mill once stood at the east end of the bridge. Jackson Creek Road has been re-routed over a new span to the south, and a massive dam impounds Lake Reese, the City of Asheboro's primary raw water reservoir, to the north. The new bridge is named in memory of Sgt. Charles Thomas Parker, who was killed on February 2, 1968, while serving in the U.S. Army in Vietnam. Parker was the grandson of Charles Victor Parker.