The Asheboro Municipal Building, built in 1938, is the city's foremost example Art Deco architectural style. It is further significant in that it was built as a federal Public Works Administration project toward the end of the Great Depression. With the words "Municipal Building" carved in the front upper facade, it was the first structure that combined all the city's government and public infrastructure into one building - seen at the time as evidence of a progressive and growing 20th century city. The fire department was housed in the building's north end, and the public library on the south end. The tax and water departments were located on the first floor, as were the city clerk and finance officer. The police department, city engineer and mayor's courtroom were housed on the second floor.
The federal government contributed $32,947 for the Municipal Building project, while the City of Asheboro sold $40,000 in bonds to cover the rest of the $73,215 construction cost. Mayor W.A. Bunch, former mayors C.C. Cranford and D.B. McCrary, and Bank of Randolph President W.A. Armfield formed the committee to select the type of building. Greensboro architect Albert C. Woodruff was selected to design the building. Ground was broken for construction on September 27, 1938. A cornerstone ceremony was held on December 19, 1939, and a formal opening celebration took place on August 4, 1939.
Although the police department, fire department and library have moved into separate quarters, the Asheboro Municipal Building remains the home of city administrative functions.