Randolph High School was a consolidated school for black children throughout most of Randolph County. Built in 1951 at a cost of $132,000 just west of what was then the city limits of Liberty, it eventually had 14 classrooms, a library, home economics and science rooms, plus a combination gymtorium and cafeteria. Black students were bused to Liberty from as far away as Seagrove, some riding for two hours to get to school. According to Charles Kuhn, chairman of the Eastern Randolph County Committee for Better Schools, Randolph High School was built as a showplace to satisfy the old “separate but equal” philosophy. Randolph High School also used special funding provided by the National Defense Educational Assistance Program for purchasing science and mathematics teaching equipment. The end of Randolph High School came in 1965 under Title VI which barred the use of federal funds for segregated education and schools.