Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Historic Landmark Preservation Commission: Pisgah Covered Bridge

Original Pisgah covered bridge, 1911

Couple walks toward original Pisgah bridge, 1950

Pier detail, original bridge

TImbers, piers and subflooring of original bridge

Interior ceiling and bracing, original bridge

Piers after bridge washed away in 2003 flood

Flood debris with NC DOT bridge in background, 2003

Flood debris, 2003

Flood debris, 2003

Reconstruction work gets underway

Reconstruction work

Reconstruction framing and bracing

Reconstruction framing and bracing

Reconstruction framing and bracing; roofing complete

Laying stone around concrete piers

Current bridge, looking northeast

Reconstructed after 2003 flood destroyed original bridge.

South side, external brace and stone piers

Current bridge, north side

Current bridge, south side, looking northwest

Current bridge interior

Pisgah Covered Bridge entrance road, looking west

Read the Landmark Designation Nomination

Read the Landmark Designation Resolution

Read the History of the Pisgah Covered Bridge

Read about the Construction of the Pisgah Covered Bridge

The 1911 Pisgah Covered Bridge is located in the Uwharrie National Forest at 6925 Pisgah Covered Bridge Road, Asheboro, N.C. in Union Township, Randolph County. It is the only remaining covered bridge in Randolph County, and one of the two remaining covered bridges in the state of North Carolina. The covered bridge is a part of the cultural and historical heritage of Randolph County, and rises to the Criteria for Significance and Aspects of Integrity considered necessary for Local Historical Landmark designation. The bridge is a direct connection to the county’s past mode of transportation when horse and wagon transportation were common and automobile travel was in its infancy. As Dr. David Jones, Executive Director of the N.C. Zoological Park has stated, “It represents a quieter time gone by when things were less rushed and the sound of tumbling water in the creek was all that could be heard apart from the birds’ songs and rustling leaves.” 

It not only stands as a link to the county’s past way of life, but also as a symbol to the county’s current and future life. It is symbolized and preserved in the official seal of Randolph County.  Quoting Dr. Jones again, he states, “The old bridge has become such an important icon in reflecting the history and the heritage of this area.” 

It embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type, period, and method of construction in the building of covering bridges.  These characteristics and the architectural significance of this covered bridge are detailed in a document entitled "Construction Aspects of the Pisgah Covered Bridge.” 

It has yielded and will likely yield more important historical significance in that it is one of the two remaining covered bridges in the entire state of North Carolina. It was the last covered bridge to be owned and to be maintained by the N.C. Department of Transportation. 

Although the bridge floated off its foundational stone pillars and came apart more than 100 feet downstream in August 2003, more than 90 % of the bridge’s components were recovered and accounted for. Using plans developed from a detailed assessment before the bridge's destruction and the recovered materials, and being reconstructed to the exact measurements and dimensions at the exact original location, the bridge retains its previous identity and appearance.

Related Sites:

Parkers Mill Bridge

Accessibility:

To book the Pisgah Covered Bridge site for weddings or other events, contact Crystal Cockman, Three Rivers Land Trust, crystal@threeriverslandtrust.org, 704-647-0302; 204 E. Innes St., Salisbury, NC, 28144.