Read the Cultural Heritage Site Designation Report
Read the Cultural Heritage Site Designation Resution
The Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Railway Depot in Liberty, now commonly referred to as the Liberty Depot, was built some time before 1905, when photographs of it were made. It is an excellent example of a turn-of-the-century train station and the most elaborate example in Randolph County. The hip-roofed station has both a gabled dormer and an octagonal turret which caps a polygonal window bay at trackside. The eaves of the roof are ‘kicked’ out to overhang at least six feet; this is supported by sawn braces, German siding is now used above an exterior ‘wainscoting’ of beaded vertical paneling. In 1992, Norfolk Southern Railway no longer needing the Liberty depot, offered the building to anyone who would pay to have it moved. There was some interest among Liberty residents to have the Town of Liberty save the historic building, but the Town took no action on the matter. Jim Wilson, a Liberty attorney and railroad buff, paid to have the depot moved and set up on the opposite side of the tracks, thus preserving the old depot.